Saturday, June 28, 2014

What is your label?


After cleaning the whole house and feeling frustrated having to do it all by myself, I needed to 'neutralise' my anger by watching Andy Stanley. I will blog about this 'cleaning' business another time, I promise.

Anyway, he was telling a bunch of high-school students that we all growing up with people labelling us. Smarty, Dumb-ass, Ugly, Fat, Popular, Teacher's Pet, Show-off, Rich, Poor etc. I don't know about you but I was certainly being labelled, no exception than any other girls/boys.

Growing up, I was quite timid. I was afraid to speak up and too shy to voice my own opinion. So most of my genius ideas were left unspoken (I thought they were -genius :). I have no one else to blame except for myself. I was taught that: silence is obedience. And you should never ever say NO. This is not uncommon in Asian families so I was still considered as 'normal'.

Somehow, I was most of the time The Teacher's Pet. At other times I was the Smarty-pants, Nerd, Show-Off and last but not least (too shy to admit this) Popular. Believe it or not, the group that people hates the most is not 'Poor' 'Ugly' 'Fat'. It's the 'Popular' ones. Most people don't mind being popular but do mind if there are others, more outstanding than they are (prettier, smarter, more confident, just 'more' in anything). This is human nature -me too included.

Before you throw (virtual) cans or bottles at me, please read until the end. That's why you visited my blog, right? ;p

I do not under at any circumstances wanted to be labelled. I was just a boring, plain girl who probably come from a slightly challenging family background. I went to school not to make friends. All I want is good grades and everything else is secondary. I did along the way, made few very good friends and they stay with me, hopefully for life :) May be because I was quite driven and only hang out with friends with the same outlook, we stood-out like a sore thumb. I did well in study not by cheating nor taking credits from other people's hard work but like a faithful servant, I studied my weaknesses until they -I conquered.

But other students labelled me and my friends as 'Show-off'. We were called names and have ill things being said to us, repetitively. The bunch of girls, who did these to us, might have difficulties at their own homes too. But nevertheless, it is not a good enough reason to treat others the way they did. Please, you do not know me -back off (I wish I've said this).

Deep down, I know that God is faithful. I might look like a 'loser' -quietly walking away from a sudden unnecessary confrontation. But until today, I still feel like a winner.  I learned that silence does not necessarily means obedience but it is, most of the time GOLDEN.

Well, I am a teacher's pet. Not gonna lie. But I respect them (teachers). I adore them. And they simply just giving me back the same affection. And I can only be so grateful. Mind you, it is nothing to be ashamed of -being a teacher's pet.

I am quite fortunate that I took all criticisms and turned them the other way round. Others might not be so lucky. You called him 'Fat' and he hang himself. You called her 'ugly' and she took drugs. Words are just words -they won't harm you. But word is a very powerful tool. Powerful enough to take someone else's life.

So before you labelled someone or call them by names, think and think again. You do not want to have a baggage -too heavy to carry for a lifetime! And if someone labelled you (whatever it is), make sure you know that they do not have the right to.They don't own you. Rise from it not drown in it. Everybody has the same equal opportunities. It is up to you what you want to make out from yours...

Remember, what comes around goes around :)

PEACE YO!









No comments:

Post a Comment