Thursday, August 7, 2014

Christianity -Congenital or Acquired

Born as a Christian -so I thought I was.

What is so wrong being born as a Christian? I like it. I love it, in fact. And my parents certainly have no doubt that I MUST be a Christian. There's no way around it. There's no way out.

When I was young, we exercised Christianity not only as a religion but as our race and nationality. At least that was what I thought. More than I understood what it meant being an Iban (my tribe), I understood being a Christian far better. Hence I thought you must be born as a Christian -to be a Christian. And like any other children whom I played hide and seek with outside the church, me too, was born as one.

Now I was brought up in a super tiny town village called Song (a province in Kapit, Borneo); two hours boat-ride away from civilisation. This place is quite magical. Facilitated with a merely sufficient community clinic, a double bedroom-sized library, two primary schools, one not-too-ambitious high school and ten shop houses - it's my amusement park. I somehow managed to keep myself very busy: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Being a Christian here is a given. Most of my friends are Christians (Catholic, in fact) and if they're not -it's okay too. We all still share the same common food, language and nobody cares if we disappeared into the woods during school recess time and that's all that matters.

Through my childish observation, being a Christian means you go to church every Sunday in your best dress -without fail. It means you listened to the boring summons and you'd better NOT yawn. It means you kneel down and recite 'Our Father' and pray rosary. Rosary is a big thing that sometimes you invite people to your house just to pray rosary alone. And where there is an important event such as this, there's food. Plenty of food (amen!). Indeed, I was a very happy Christian. Through the same childish observation, I also know being a Christian means being generous, loving, kind, putting someone else's needs before yours, to make the best out of every little things, rejoice in small pleasures -because everyday, every single day, I was surrounded by such people.

10 years later.

Someone asked me: 'Have you ever considered going for baptism?'
Me (giving her a look): 'I'm baptised. I'm Catholic.'

10 years later.

I am still a Christian -if you called people who believed in Jesus are Christians. I don't kneel down any more though. But I still recite 'Our Father' and I misplaced my rosary. My journey as a Christian is a painful one but God knows it will be, He has warned me in the bible. Sometimes, I argued with Jesus and even gave Him the silent treatment. Sometimes I am so frustrated with the world which will eventually become His fault. He gave me heartache, made me cry and broke me into pieces. But He is also the one who lift me up, who makes me smile and always gives me hope -through various means.

Except that I always forget: me too gives Him heartache, made Him cry and broke Him into pieces.
And He was just trying to remind me, over and over again -how to love. Unconditionally.

I certainly know now I wasn't born as a Christian. What my parents want me to be could certainly guide me but I should be completely independent in making that choice for myself.

Christianity is not congenital nor acquired. It is a personal journey between you and God.
I am a God's child. I did feel special. And still does.

P/s: When I was young, we have almost similar picture like above hanging on our wall and how I always wished that child was me (clinging warmly in His embrace).

But I am. I just didn't know it then ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment